Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Finally a New Blog! PT 1

I am very sorry to have kept all of you waiting so long for a new blog. I hope this one makes up for the lack of blogs that there has been.

I will start with Rome and do not know where I will end. So here goes. We left Paris on saturday morning and got to Rome at about 11 o'clock. While we were coming in for landing i was looking for the coliseum because I wanted to see it from the plane. Unfortunately I never saw the coliseum, but I did get a beautiful view of the coast and the Tyrrhenian Sea while coming in. We took a train from the Airport in Fuimicino to Rome. Once we got to Rome, we decided to eat at a restaurant that was just across the street from our hostel. This place was amazing! The food in France and Italy can't even be compared to London food. London does not deserve to be in the same category.

Then it was time to check-in. Our hostel had massive wooden doors welcoming in visitors that wished to stay. You had to push a button at the door to call the receptionist who let you in. It was so nice..... until we got inside. First of all we tried to pay with a credit card. This was odd to me because most hotels are paid for after the stay, not before. Anyways, they didn't take credit cards because "their machines were down." Well I knew we would be there for two nights so I asked him how long they would be down, can we just pay before we leave? He said they will be down for several months, we are in the process of changing banks. Clue number one, changing banks doesn't take several months for a fully functioning business. Oh well, I went and pulled cash out of the ATM and paid in cash.

Next we get into our room which brings me a list of problems that I was so furious about, all Lauren could do was laugh at me. We were on the first floor which meant that in the 100 degree heat of Rome I couldn't open my window to get a breeze. Anyone from the street could hop in my window. We had our own bathroom and toilet (which took 13 minutes to figure out how to flush.) But private or not, it was nasty. The beds were uncomfortable and when I laid down I saw what had to of been a painting from someone in the 1st century. Needless to say, this was not suitable.

So, my body poured with sweat as I sat in my room looking up hotels in Rome. I was not able to find anything else so we decided that it would have to do. We situated all of our belongings and headed off for our bus tour!

The bus tour was as opposite as you can get from our hostel. Rome is very old and dirty, but so beautiful on so many levels. You have to have an imagination in Rome because structure is mostly the only thing left. But on our tour we saw so many places. We saw the Vatican, Basilica Santa Maria, Coliseum, Pantheon and everything else. These places are massive. We Loved our bus tour as well as Rome after the tour.

I will stop here for now because Lauren and I are about to head out for class. i will continue Part 2 tonight after class....

1 comment:

  1. hahaha i was laughing so hard when you were talking about the hostel.. i can only imagine.. you just had a good meal, youre excited, you see the pretty wooden hostel, youre excited.. you walk in, not so excited.. haha you crack me up!! I can only imagine what you were saying! and lauren should have filmed you trying to figure out the toilet thing. i love you.

    ReplyDelete