Monday, July 12, 2010

Short and Sweet




I will try and keep todays blog short and sweet since the last few have been sooo long. I am sure you may be getting tired of reading them. We went to Oxford for the day to visit the Mini Cooper manufacturing plant. We toured the plant and learned how each car was made from start to finish. I will share with you a few facts that I found quite interesting. 1. Every car on the production line has been sold. 2. 900 cars are manufactured in a single day. (22 hours of operation) 3. Lead time for parts entered into the plant for manufacturing run as little as 6 hours and as long as 2 weeks. 4. There are of 50 millions ways to custom design your very own mini cooper. 5. If you visit the plant, you will most likely want one. These machines are manufactured with the highest quality control there is and the employees pride themselves in it.

Before our tour we went to the University of Oxford which is more of a large community of colleges. Each college resides in a different building making the University a large area of beautiful buildings. If you have ever seen Harry Potter, Oxford University is quite similar. The campus is beautiful. Also Oxford is much cleaner and more relaxed than the city of London. There is great shopping in Oxford as well as nice market places that reminded me of my sister. There is a larger bakery in the center of the market that made some very interesting cake designs. We had very little time to explore Oxford so Lauren and I plan on taking a day trip to Oxford or Cambridge in order to spend more time. We hope to tell you more about it.

We accidently stumbled on to what might just be one of the nicest shopping centers that we have visited. Lauren and I heard that Covent Garden was a very nice place. We found a store called Next in Oxford that Lauren really liked and they also have one in Covent Garden so when we got back to London we took a train to Covent Garden. Every store imaginable is in Covent Garden. It really a pretty place that we look forward to visiting again.

Other than that, Lauren and I ate a Wagamama's which is an Asian cuisine restaurant. It was decent food but pricey for the taste. Overall I was ok with restaurant but will probably not go back. The only way I will go back is to get the chili squid which was amazing. It was deep fried squid with chili pepper, garlic and coriander dipping sauce. Can you say seconds please?

3 comments:

  1. glad you could think of me! :)
    I want to design a mini cooper.. that would be pretty cool.
    Take pics of the shopping center, and have fun.
    i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't quit writing, we enjoy reading!!
    I bet Oxford University is so pretty!! Take pictures when you guys go back. I emailed my aunts to ask them about good restaurants in London to go eat and have not received a response yet but when I do I will let you know.
    Hope that you had a good day today. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you go to Bodleian Library? HP was actually filmed in there!

    Looks like so much fun - I hope you both are having a wonderful time!

    (Also, no clue why it's naming me aliak - I must have set up this account a LONG time ago. :))

    ReplyDelete